Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Peace in the Holiday Madness

 Here I am in the middle of my fifth holiday season in the retail life at Old Navy (I refer to it as holiday season because of all the craziness that is involved from November to January. I'm not leaving out Christmas, trust me I make sure every customer is left with the words, "Merry Christmas" from my lips.). This year as I began, I was honestly not excited at all for what was to come. I feel like I've been placed in this apathetic mindset of not being excited for Christmas and all it has to bring, because of what I deal with when I enter the treacherous mall doors (if you have worked retail you would understand), and the overly materialistic society we live in.

Then on my way to the war zone in my car one day, "O Holy Night" came on my shuffle and as I began to sing along (be glad you weren't listening so your hearing is safe) I began to really listen to the words. I've heard this hymn so many times throughout my lifetime, but I was just paying extra close attention I guess this particular time. It began to soften and humble me as I was listening and singing. I started to think upon the night that Christ was born, though I wasn't there, but about the excitement of the coming savior that everyone must have felt and that we still feel today and something that I have lost somewhat this year. 

Then I reached the part of the song, "His law is love and His gospel is peace," and began to just revel in that and the peace found in Christ. Though I was working retail in this craziness of secular Christmas, I had peace in Christ and I recognized I should be preparing for the celebration of his coming.  I should be showing his love to my customers, no matter what they say to me (like telling me to take tips on how to do my job), and maybe help them realize why we celebrate this season of giving and what ultimate gift was actually given to us all if we come to know and understand it. So as we all enter into the final week before Christmas, let's relax and enjoy Christ's peace in our lives and understand how we may be able to calm the madness of the holiday season by focusing on him from whom it comes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment