Thursday, July 2, 2015

Our Call Out of Anxiousness


I am a recent college graduate without a full time job or career path; sifting through the multiple options I have for graduate programs as a former science major. All the while many doors have been presented and have been shut on a daily basis. It would seem that I have a multitude of things to worry and think about. I recently spent the last semester of my college career questioning the degree path that I chose. Gratefully I exited that time broken and humbled before my Savior realizing His great plan for my life is for His glory and for my good. The "good" might be, for the moment, a part time job with a college degree. The good might be continual emails of rejection from jobs. The good might be the constant state of indecisiveness I've experienced the past few years in trying to ascertain what is next.

Now, while I know and understand God's good is far greater than I can comprehend or imagine, a worldly mindset would see it otherwise. I should be in a state of panic and worry as to what is to come. That I should not be content with what is occurring in my life and career path. But, as I am sitting here prepping for the camp I will be counseling at in less than a week, the first lesson begins with the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew, ending in 6:33-34: 
"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.“Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."" (Matthew 6:33-34 ESV)
To fully understand what is going on here, we must realize where He is coming from. Jesus is addressing the monetary and daily necessities we need to sustain life. He just recently gave them two examples of how God takes care of the birds of the air and adorns the fields with flowers, so why wouldn't He do the same for us, considering we are of more value? (Matthew 6:25-32). Christ is addressing the anxious heart throughout this passage. He confronts our vulnerability toward anxiety with the surety of God's gracious provision. As we come to verse 33, He is calling us to seek His kingdom and righteousness. That is our call and the Lord intends to bring us to a place of reliance and assurance in our Savior.  He will provide for every need we have on this Earth to continue His work.

And then we come to verse 34 where He ends in calling us not to be anxious. That we should not have worries about what lies ahead or anything of the sort. That our anxieties of the future pale in comparison to the Father who knows what lies ahead and has provision beyond our comprehension laid out to meet our needs. This is what I come back to. This is where I stand and hope and trust and wait. The God who calls me to seek Him and His kingdom first, He will take care of me. That I am in my Father's sovereign and capable hands. I am resolved to seek Him and trust in Him. This time of waiting is for a reason. The good in being jobless (full time that is in my field of interest) is that it is preparing me and teaching me full reliance upon our Savior. He is teaching me how to wake up each day, not in anxiousness and fear of what's to come, but in knowing and trusting that today and tomorrow is laid out by His hand. That He holds the future and that tomorrow's anxieties will care for themselves. Let us seek first His kingdom and pursue His righteousness, knowing that He has and He will always carry us with full and complete assurance in His gracious provision. Has He ever failed us? He cannot! (2 Tim 2:13) Though I don't know what tomorrow or next month or next year holds, I know Who it is that holds me and what better hands could there be than the Maker of this world?

No comments:

Post a Comment