Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Stability Found in Uncertainty



Throughout most of my college career, I have been in a place of uncertainty. Uncertainty in the way my life would be heading. I came in with big plans for my life, then all of a sudden, one semester, these plans crashed and burned to the ground. It was a trying time yet I came to a great place in my walk with Christ. I truly learned what resting on him meant. As it says in 1 Peter 5:6-7:
"Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you."
His care for us is immeasurable. I mean he sent his only son to die on the cross to save us sinners from the wrath we deserved, so why wouldn't we go to him with our burdens in life? Why not humble ourselves before him? There is no reason. This is a very hard concept to grasp and it was hard for me to learn. It was difficult for me to relinquish what I thought I had control over, when in all actuality it was God directing and molding my path. It was great I had the desires to pursue dreams and had made plans for what was in store, but with that we must have the understanding that they might not go that way or take the same path we envisioned to accomplish them. That is okay. It is okay to not know what is next.

And with not knowing brings a whole slew of emotions and fears. It brings much anxiety and worrisome thoughts to mind about what we will do when we graduate, who we will marry, should we change our major, what school to attend, and many others. When we truly cast our burdens on him, however, and humble ourselves in his presence, we find rest. We find the comfort of the father who cares for us. Because he cares, we know we will be okay. With being okay brings the question, are we doing what we're supposed to? How do we know? We can know by pursuing him and building his kingdom that we are in his will and pursuing the right path for our lives. As Kevin DeYoung states in his book, Just Do Something, "The will of God for our lives is that we seek first His kingdom and His righteousness. The most important decision we face is the daily decision to live for Christ and die to self.1"If that is our most important decision, then we should find rest knowing that we don't know what's next. As long as we are pursuing Christ, we are in his will and doing what we are called to do. I received great advice from a mentor once from Psalm 119:105
"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."
As he was explaining the verse with the analogy of the lamp, he stated that God's revealed plan for us is like a lamp. With a lamp it only shines to a certain extent. We see a little bit at a time because he knows if we knew the entire thing we wouldn't be able to handle it. We cannot handle what our entire lives will amount to, but we can handle the fact that our Lord who is sovereign cares for us and is in control. He knows what is in store for our lives and that is a great understanding and feeling upon which we can rest. You may still be walking through a period of uncertainty about what is next or are unsure about what decision to make like myself, but trust me in this: the Lord knows and we can go before him humbly to cast what anxiety and burdens of life we have. We can find stability in the uncertainty with the Lord. As Hannah prays in 1 Samuel 2:1-10 we must also,
https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif
"And Hannah prayed and said, "My heart exults in the LORD; my horn is exalted in the LORD. My mouth derides my enemies, because I rejoice in your salvation. “There is none holy like the LORD: for there is none besides you; there is no rock like our God. Talk no more so very proudly, let not arrogance come from your mouth; for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed. The bows of the mighty are broken, but the feeble bind on strength. Those who were full have hired themselves out for bread, but those who were hungry have ceased to hunger. The barren has borne seven, but she who has many children is forlorn. The LORD kills and brings to life; he brings down to Sheol and raises up. The LORD makes poor and makes rich; he brings low and he exalts. He raises up the poor from the dust; he lifts the needy from the ash heap to make them sit with princes and inherit a seat of honor. For the pillars of the earth are the LORD's, and on them he has set the world. “He will guard the feet of his faithful ones, but the wicked shall be cut off in darkness, for not by might shall a man prevail. The adversaries of the LORD shall be broken to pieces; against them he will thunder in heaven. The LORD will judge the ends of the earth; he will give strength to his king and exalt the horn of his anointed."
_____________________
1. DeYoung, K. (2009). Just Do Something. Chicago, IL : Moody Publishers.
 Photo found at www.homeschoolstory.com

No comments:

Post a Comment